Re: Nokia netbook

There's a lot of talk that Nokia should release a Maemo netbook.  Is there a working port of Maemo to Intel-based chips?  I only know of the ARM version for the tablets.

This was partially mentioned above, but I don't think enough weight has been given to the fact that Nokia has just within the past three months announced major partnerships with both Intel and Microsoft.  I don't see it as surprising that a corporate-focused booklet would choose this platform.

And remember, the N900 is coming out.  The OS/2 comparison is interesting, and it may well be that Maemo stays firmly in the "hobbyist" arena.  But i think we will see Maemo take a bigger role as the laptop and phone continue to merge into a new hybrid device (of which netbooks and internet tablets are early forays into this class of device.

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Gary <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Antonio Di Cello wrote:
> For italian maemo/nokia user I post on my blog the news ad the specifications of new booklet3G

The Guardian has more speculation on the hardware specs.
http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gmg/op/sXsDARYcytKh_ev4Q2pP53Q/view.m?id=158147&tid=120787

My guess is that they're trying to get some attention before Apple
releases their touch screen tablet. I have used WIndows 7 extensively on
a seven year old notebook which is about on par with most current net
books (aside from the larger screen). It is much more usable than Vista
was on the same system but I still prefer to boot in to U-lite -- a
custom Ubuntu distribution that runs better on less powerful hardware
than any of the official Ubuntu spin-offs. Aside from that, there are
plenty of other distributions that Nokia could have chosen as there have
been several window manager and desktop projects over the years that
sufficiently emulate the Windows look and feel to ease users in to the
UI. The OS/2 vs Windows comparison is an interesting one. Maybe Nokia
will hire David Cutler to help finish freemantle. ;)

-Gary

In Vino Veritas
http://rubbernecking.info