Re: N900/Maemo 5 review

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Mark <wolfmane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Fernando Cassia<fcassia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Mark <wolfmane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Good luck with that. The processing power on these things is
>> deliberately modest, at least partly because there is a very valid
>> power conservation issue, and Java can be sluggish even on a fast PC.
>
> This is a myth.
>
> I've run Java apps on ARM CPUs since I first used the HomePod internet
> radio/mp3 player FIVE YEARS ago.
>
> Heck, PalmOS on my Palm Centro with the IBM J9 VM runs Java ME apps just
> fine, including the GMail Java client.
>
> The Centro runs a ~ 300Mhz ARM9 based CPU.
>
> FC

As with anything, it depends on the app. Sure, small, light apps
designed for cellphones will run on anything. But "real" Java apps are
quite different. I can assure you that the Java apps that run
sluggishly on my current desktop workstation will not even begin to
run on your Centro. That also goes for a lot of general Web content
that is not specifically designed for phones.

Mark

I was thinking Java ME and JavaFX Mobile. Both of which are designed to run on smartphones.

FC