Re: N900/Maemo 5 review

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Fernando Cassia<fcassia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Looks very exciting. I remember telling on this very same list that what
> killed the Nxx tablet series was basically that it lacked a GSM radio, in
> other words, a phone. Hence the device didn't "fit" Nokia's product line, as
> the "phone guys" saw it as an odd device "not a real phone" and comparisons
> with UMPC were unfair.

No, what killed the Nxx tablet series was the total lack of support,
and some critical missing out-of-the-box software functionality. (Much
of which I have to point out is being addressed with Maemo 5, but they
are *very pointedly* not backporting it to the current tablets.)

> And I'm still hoping to see Java / JavaFX on these devices sooner rather
> than later, despite's Nokia's dealings with the Evil Empire of Redmondia...
>
> FC

Good luck with that. The processing power on these things is
deliberately modest, at least partly because there is a very valid
power conservation issue, and Java can be sluggish even on a fast PC.

Mark