Update on the Maemo Summit co-creation project - what to expect

Hello everybody,

After a great telephone meeting with Jussi Makinen from Nokia, I can now share with you the details of the Nokia co-creation project.
But first I want to say that Nokia is going to be very open with the whole community during this project. Everybody, whether it is online or off-line, will be involved in the development of these Maemo concepts and all results will be shared online.
The results after the Summit will be the start for an online Brainstorm on Maemo.org, where you can work on the concepts together with Nokia. By doing this Nokia is the first company I know that is willing to be so open with 'the outside world' in this stage of product development and I praise them for that!

So, back to the project - the complete project exists of 5 phases, which I will explain now.

PROJECT: "Creativity on the Move"

1) Having a dialogue with the Maemo Community online
In the following weeks, we would like to have a dialogue with you about Mobile Creativity. Think about applications that are about having fun, that will inspire you to use it, enable quick and easy results; it is snappy creativity in action, you feel creative by doing it!

The topics we will focus on are:
Instant and fun media editing/remixing/sharing (combining, editing & sharing pictures, music and video on your device)
Serendipitous (accidental/surprising) content discovery (semantic browsing for content stored on your device and internet)

We will ask some questions that you can respond to, or you can bring your own ideas to the table. Everything that is said during this dialogue will be used as input for the expert co-creation session before the Summit.

2) The expert co-creation session
As I mentioned before, on Thursday the 8th of October, there will be an expert co-creation session in Amsterdam. An important part of such session is finding the right participants. We are always looking for a perfect mix of backgrounds, expertise's and personalities. Everybody should be open-minded, creative and easy-going in groups.
For this session we want to invite 4-5 Maemo Community members and 4-5 lead-users or experts from outside the Maemo Community. Together with the Nokia team, they will work on new Maemo concepts.
We want to find the right people by asking you to recommend your peers, based on their expertise with the topic, as well as their activities within the Maemo Community. Of course, you can also apply yourself.
We (Fronteer Strategy) will contact the people that are recommended or willing to participate to speak with them in person. Eventually we will choose the best mix of participants together with Nokia.

We realise that 5 people out of this large community is very little, but all results will be shared with you afterwards.

3) The Maemo Summit Showcase
On Saturday 10 October, the results of the expert co-creation session will be put on Maemo.org and will be presented during the Maemo Summit. We would like to ask a Nokia and a Maemo participant to present these results together. Summit attendees can give their opinion and feedback. During the rest of the day, the whole community can vote on the concepts online, so that at the end of the day, we have insight in the most promising concepts. These will be further developed on Sunday.

4) The Garage Session
On Sunday 11 October there will be a Garage session during the Summit. During this session, Summit attendees and Nokia will work together on creating more tangible concepts. During this session, we want to inspire development and creativity; the whole session is about having fun and finding the best way to continue.

5) Further Development: Maemo Brainstorm
The results of the Garage Session will again be shared online and are the kick-off for a Maemo Community Brainstorm. Also during this phase, Nokia values your input and wants to collaboratively develop the concepts into a final product that can be made available for end-users.

I hope you have a good idea now of what you can expect the coming weeks and how you can be part of this before, during and after the Maemo Summit. This week, 2 Nokia product managers will introduce themselves on this forum. They will participate in the discussion and share the Nokia vision on the topic, which they can also explain into more detail.

I will also place the first discussion topic this week, so we can start the online dialogue!

looking forward to your reactions,

Marieke Streefkerk
Fronteer Strategy
Prinsengracht 76, 1015 DX  Amsterdam
T   +31 20 475 0555   M  +31 61 502 3805

Co-create with experts? www.welcometorooftop.com