spontaneous reboot while charging

A few months ago, my N810 started spontaneously rebooting when it is plugged
into the charger. I haven't updated any software on it in over a year and made
no major configuration changes to it in over a year. It doesn't spontaneously
reboot when not plugged in. When plugged in, it sometimes does and sometimes
doesn't spontaneously reboot. When it does, it will go through several (about
a half dozen) reboot cycles and then stop. It sometimes stops in a powered on
state and sometimes stops in a powered off state.

Separate from this, I have noticed some strange behavior of the battery charge
indicator on the home screen. Often, it will indicate a full, or almost full
charge, and then after a very brief period of use, switch to indicating a very
low level of charge. Sometimes so low that it switches off. Then I plug it in
and reboot and unplug and it indicates a full charge again after being plugged
in only briefly. But this means that I can't reliably take it with me in my
pocket and use it for several hours a day as I have done for much of the past
year and a half.

I thought that the battery might need replacement since it is the original
battery from when I bought the N810 a year and a half ago. I purchased a
non-Nokia battery that claimed to be compatible (BP-4L I think). When I put it
in and plug the charger in, it always power cycles and begins a reboot about a
half dozen times in a row (it doesn't finish the reboot before spontaneously
power cycling) then eventually stops in a powered off state. The battery never
charges.

Any ideas? Should I try a new Nokia battery? Should I try a new charger? Is it
likely a software problem or a hardware problem? Except for the
charging/battery problem, it works as reliably as it has since I purchased it.
I rely on my N810 as a pocketable laptop (with a bluetooth keyboard) on almost
a daily basis. But I don't want to purchase a new one since I plan to purchase
the N900/Rover when it comes out.

    Jeff (http://www.ece.purdue.edu/~qobi)