Re: Emacs and libxaw7

David Greaves wrote:
> Peter Flynn wrote:
>> The next Emacs stage is to get the X version running on my N800 under
>> OS2008. From other posts (eg in "Full screen non-Hildon X applications
>> possible?"), some people have obviously managed this, but there is an
>> apparently undocumented dependency, libxaw7, which I cannot find in any
>> repository. Does anyone know where this is hidden? There are several
>> references in the discussions to it, but no-one seems to have posted
>> where they found it.
>

> Try:
>   https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/+source/libxaw/2:1.0.5-1
>
> (For Diablo you should go to Debian... I tend to use Ubuntu as that's our Mer base)

That's for building it from source: I avoid that like the plague for the
N800 because I don't have the space or facilities to install the
toolchain from cross-compilation.

But I take back what I said, there *is* a pointer at the end of this
thread http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=16189&page=7 to a chinook
version of all three libx libraries which appear to work for emacs.

However, the emacs package is still broken as shipped: when you execute
the binary emacs, you get

> Warning: arch-dependent data dir (/usr/libexec/emacs/22.1/arm-linux-gnueabi/) does not exist.
> Warning: arch-independent data dir (/usr/share/emacs/22.1/etc/) does not exist.
> Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/share/emacs/22.1/site-lisp' does not exist.
> Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp' does not exist.
> Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/share/emacs/22.1/lisp' does not exist.
> Warning: Lisp directory `/usr/share/emacs/22.1/leim' does not exist.

All exist in my install target on /media/mmc1/emacs so they're easily
fudged by linking them back to the absolute path, but this ought to have
been done by the install script.

 > Cannot open load file: term/x-win

Dunno where this is or where it's supposed to be, but emacs now executes :-)

Getting it full-screen is more difficult: the thread I referred to tails
off with the post from Eric saying

 > Excellent.  Thanks.  I'll pursue this avenue.

Eric: did you manage to get this to work? The suggestion you refer to
(Googling wmctrl maemo xbindkeys, made by Damien) turns up this thread,
a bunch of listing, some Python, and some posts in Japanese, but no
actual hint of what packages are needed or what command/configs will
make Emacs run full-screen.

Incidentally, now it's installed and executing, how do I add it to the
system menu so that I don't need to invoke it from a command in the
xterm window?

///Peter