Rumor mill: Maemo 5 device

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 9:58 PM, Quim Gil<quim.gil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maemo users interested in this thread will surely be interested in
>
> Intel and Nokia agreement on New tablets collaboration
> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=29825
>
> and even
>
> Nokia launches a Netbook in 2011 ?
> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=29816
>

> --
> Quim Gil
> open source advocate
> Maemo Devices @ Nokia

One of the threads mentions an "N900", which somebody has mentioned on
this list before. I was curious, so I googled it.

I would actually reconsider my previous stance and maybe even buy the
"N900" if the specs in these links are accurate:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/05/25/nokia-n900-rover-tablet-gets-pictured-specd/
http://www.craveonline.com/lifestyle/article/nokia-n900-79259
http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/05/24/exclusive-everything-there-is-to-know-about-nokias-next-tablet/
http://www.nokian900.com/nokia-n900-internet-tablet-rumors/#more-15
http://www.slashgear.com/nokia-n900-rover-internet-tablet-details-leak-2644704/

However, $750 and and/or a smaller screen would be showstoppers for
me. Also, at this point regular cellular voice would be a requirement
for me. If they can't get the price to netbook levels or less, it's
highly unlikely that a single soul will buy them. I think that's been
the major issue with the tablets in the past: considering the
features, the price is way above everybody's threshold until about the
time the new model comes out, making the old one (depending on one's
viewpoint) obsolete.

...but I strongly suspect that those "leaked" specs are all somebody's fantasy.

And I think it's highly unlikely that it will be released in the next
few weeks (they're saying July 2009), or even this summer. Next spring
would be much easier to believe.

Mark