Re: Default Contact Application

Luca Olivetti wrote:
> En/na Mark ha escrit:
>
>> I wasn't very clear: what I meant to say was that IIRC the built-in
>> apps can't be defeated as the defaults for their particular actions,
>> but there may be hope for some types of files that aren't already
>> associated with the as-shipped apps. Or maybe they all can be changed.
>> Surely someone knows.
>
> I know for sure that the default browser cannot be substituted for
> another one (many have tried and failed).
> It's annoying when you click on a link on any application and it will
> try to open it in the default browser, when you actually are trying to
> use a more functional one.
> I always have to remember to do a long tap, wait for the context menu to
> appear, copy link and paste it into the browser I actually use.
> As I said, annoying.

Don't forget all these devices (and their manufacturers, and a large
number of their original developers) come out of the commercial market,
and carry with them the conventional belief that their apps are so
superior to anything else that no-one in their right mind would ever
dream of wanting to change to an "equivalent". It's the same mind-set
that makes installer-writers hijack filetypes to their own app. It's a
form of arrogance, but I don't mean that nastily; they genuinely believe
that they are helping the user and doing the right thing by making it
impossible to change. They just happen to be mistaken in that belief.

///Peter