Re: Starter Tips

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 8:48 AM, sean <tech.junk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I hope that it can replace my aging palm as best as possible, but I have
> read of the lack of built in PIM, GPE seems to be a common recommendation.

Not a PIMmer myself but Pimlico is another option.

> So what are the best ideas to get the most from the device?

Flash an improved kernel, initfs and boot menu: http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/
This not simple for a newbie. There may be clearer instructions at
maemo.org but it is down at the moment(?)

Get a class 6 SDHC card to put in the internal slot, then follow the
instructions here:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Booting_from_a_flash_card

This will give you plenty of space to install extra software, improve
performance, put your home directory (and therefore all your data) on
the card rather than in the device (where reflashing will destroy it),
give you a backup system  to boot from if you should screw something
up, allow you to rotate the screen and give you more control over
screen brightness (with Advanced Backlight), and make you feel all
warm and fuzzy inside.

Check out all the goodies at http://www.gronmayer.com/it/

Martin