Re: OT - availability of WiFi in England

On Monday 27 April 2009 18:43:32 Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
> My girlfriend is going from USA to England for two weeks. I want to give
> her an N810 tablet, but I don't have the faintest idea if / how is WiFi
> available there.

Variable, but expensive compared to USA.  In London it is much like any other
big city -- a mixture of places (hotels, coffee shops, pubs and dedicated
internet cafes) -- a few free, most not free (you will often pay about the
same in the UK for an hour as you would in the US for a day).  Outside London
it is much more limited (think of a small US city in a rural area) -- in my
local town I can only think of one location with WiFi (there are probably
another one or two I don't know) and even in a regional centre (like, say,
Gloucester or Coventry or Durham) you may only find it in major hotels and a
couple of coffee shops and pubs.  I spent a few days in Worcester last year
and only found two places in the town with WiFi (neither of which was my
hotel, unfortunately).  Major coffee shop chains are a good place to go
looking!

> Any hints (is there such a thing as inexpensive 3G
> connection?) will be very much appreciated.

3 have a reasonably priced 3G prepaid data service with a dongle (for a
laptop) -- but I am sure it wouldn't be worth it for two weeks as you have to
buy the dongle (and it wouldn't work with the N810).  If you already have an
unlocked 3G phone you could buy a local 3G prepaid SIM with data service on
most of the networks for not too much.

Bottom line: If she is going to be in London and other major tourist areas,
she will find WiFi connectivity fairly easily but it may be expensive.

Now we will see if the other Brits on the list have a different experience!

Graham