Re: Iphone + tethering - No Way

Jonathan,

I did not ask the sales rep, HOW ATT prevents tethering on the iphone
and it did not occur to me that they would use the user identity and
account info derived from the SIM to prevent tethering. For that to
work, the ATT network would have to be able to determine when a device
was attempting to tether while authenticated with a SIM and user account
that did not allow that. I just assume that the iphone hw+sw was
designed to not include tethering capability, from Apple, at least. As
Jose points out, there is at least one app available to turn the iphone
into an IEEE 802.11 Access Point.

Now, I have to ask, does "jailbreaking" the iphone violate the ATT
commercial terms of its use on the ATT Network?

And speaking of data volume limits for these plans, I have learned that
a good way to exceed the 5gb limit per month of either ATT's or Verizon
Wireless's data plan is to start doing RDP or VNC sessions to other
computers/servers from a computer that is tethered to your mobile
device. Then launch a www browser on the target computer/server and
visit your typical www sites (I am not even talking about, say youtube
here) using that browser on that computer/server. With all the rich
graphics. and dancing baloney on today's typical www site you will
quickly  consume that 5 gb on the mobile network with all the graphical
content being played out over the RDP or VNC session. Actually I am
making a bit of an assumption here, because so far I have only tried
this using RDP. VNC may be more bit efficient.

 I understand that Citrix, the original developer of the RDP components
that Microsoft uses, themselves have a more efficient version of RDP
(RDP+?} that is, well, more efficient when it comes to the video part of
RDP.

In fact, and speaking only based on my experience with the typical real
bandwidths (~300kbps in the direction to the tethered device) that I get
over the Verizon Wireless network in the locations where I use it, I get
that old "dial up/slow-mo" feeling sometimes when using this service.
The performance  is bad enough that I wish it would be better, but good
enough that I keep using it.

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Acadia Secure Networks, LLC