Re: Nokia device usage

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 12:09 PM, Christoph Eckert <ce@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
>> If Maemo Mapper would use the *vector* OSM data and do routing on the
>> device
>
> this obviously would be great. But hey, it's open source, you can hack it :) .

Maybe you can, but I can't. I really wish I did have those skills.

> IMO MaemoMapper is an excellent open source app, though one always desires
> even more features.
>
>> (and were a bit more stable, although it's much better than all
>> the other alternatives in that respect),
>
> It starts crashing from time to time. I usually solve this be dropping the map
> container db file. After that, I need to refesh all tiles, but it runs stable
> again. IMO it looks that there are occasions where the database gets damaged,
> maybe a crash.
>
> [...]
>
>> Working with OSM is another subject entirely, and can be done without
>> any of the navigation-oriented apps.
>
> Yes and no. I plan all of my tours, even the mapping tours. That's why I need
> a device which displays the planned route. Currently I use MaemoMapper for
> that, and it works just nicely.
>
>> JOSM is a nightmare.
>
> Well, Autocad as well. JOSM is THE editor which probably allows to do most
> stuff with osm data. Its usability has improved a lot during the last two
> years, but true, it still requires a certain learning curve.
>
> IMO all of your points are valid. But being an open source hacker myself, I
> have a lightly different point of view (no offense BTW) :) .
>

> Best regards,
>
> ce

I'm not knocking Maemo Mapper. It's definitely got some strong points.
It's really cool to be able to go to an unfamiliar place armed with
satellite images when geocaching. ;-) It does support geocaching very
well, not only with importing, but it will even download caches
directly through the POI dialog. The ability to draw from many
different map types and sources is awesome. I guess it's possible to
display both vector and bitmap data (Delorme is doing it
simultaneously with their new PN-20 & PN-40) but it's got to be a lot
harder than doing either one alone.

All I'm saying is that it would truly be a "killer app" if it did
vector data and routing in addition to its current functions. (Voice
nav would be a great bonus, but not critical.) There could be a few
tweaks to the interface to make it more finger-friendly and more
informative (choice of display and location of various things like
speed, altitude, time, etc.), but again it works pretty well as is.
Think of it this way: how much would you pay for a dedicated GPSr -
that was open-source and could do all of the other things the tablets
can do?

Mark