Re: Nokia device usage

Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
> 	The biggest beef seems to be that the Nokia tablets are not aimed
> at the idiots. As a business decision, it may be misguided, since idiots
> constitute a vast majority of the buying public. Personally I like to be
> treated as an adult.

Julius,

My intended application for the N800 is controlling Lego Mindstorms NXT
bricks. For that purpose the N800 is actually a very cool device (runs
Linux, has bluetooth and USB, can run python etc.).  I have another N800
that I bought as a portable "lazy-man's" gadget - that portion has not
played out so well. The idea was to take it on trips for movies,
browsing the web and use it as a GPS. None of these have worked out well
(for me, YMMV). I have since bought an Eee and that puppy is miles ahead
of the N8x0 for my intended uses, mind you, it costs approximately the
same and runs Linux or you can put Ubuntu on it yourself, which is what
I did.

My main beef with N800 is the difference between advertised
functionality and what you actually get. Maemo community is great BUT
there seems to be an enormous amount of confusion out there on what the
device can actually do and how to get it done between the various
versions of maemo. I am used to hacking stuff all day but maybe
sometimes, just sometimes, I don't want to serve the gadget and I want
the gadget to serve me.

I kind of resent the wording in your email - that the beef with the
device is that it is not meant for idiots. I have a CS degree, have even
published a paper or two, co-wrote a chapter in a scientific textbook
and have been a programmer for most of my life (on Linux). I don't
consider myself to be an idiot by any means.

Thanks,
Ognen