Re: Nokia device usage

> I am curious to find out what people use their Nokias for. If anyone
> could share their usage patterns, it would be appreciated.

For me it would never replace my desktop computer, but being a handy pocketable Linux computer means it's possible to run some applications when I'm out and about. That was the reason I ported Apache and MySQL to it, so  I can carry around copies of a couple of my websites - in particular Beermad, where I can make notes about beers and breweries on my N800 and have them automatically picked up and published on the live website when I get home and it connects to my wireless network.

I also use it as an MP3 player, though this has both advantages and disadvantages. Battery life is a lot shorter than it would be with a dedicated MP3 player, but having one would mean an extra thing in my pockets and it probably wouldn't be able to play the files I have in Ogg Vorbis and Flac format.

As an E-book reader it's excellent. Means I have hundreds of books with me wherever I go and I don't even need a light on to read. And as I'm currently reading Anna Karenina, it's a hell of a lot lighter than the book would be.

The standard Internet stuff isn't of much use most of the time, but when I'm travelling it's useful if I can pick up a WiFi connection  to send/receive emails and use the web for things like checking up-to-date travel details. When I was on holiday in Tilburg, I wouldn't have known that the Dutch railway had cancelled all the services on the line I was planning to use to get to Schiphol Airport if I hadn't checked their website. And that meant I could work out a working route to catch my plane on time.

Oh, and I get lots of geek points impressing people by being able to play videos on it...
--
Tony Green
Ipswich, Suffolk, England

* No Micro$oft products were used in the generation of this communication