Re: damaged power connecter

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Eero Tamminen <eero.tamminen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ext Mike Sherman wrote:
>> The other day I tried to push my N810 out of the car mount forgetting
>> that I had plugged the charger in.  After that stress on the power
>> jack the N810 won' t charge unless you apply a downward force on the
>> power cable.  The jack in the N810 seems to be damaged.
>
> First I'd suspect the charger itself, it's power cable is quite thin
> and can break.  Have you tried another charger?
>
>        - Eero
>
>> Any suggestions?  Has anyone gone inside one of these?  I've repaired
>> and replaced parts in Palms, but the N seems several levels beyond.

This is a timely subject for me as well. The other day I knocked my
N800 off my desk while it was plugged into a USB charging cable. It
hit the end of the cable before it hit the floor (which helped prevent
other damage), but it bent the plug on the cable. I straightened the
plug and it worked for a few days, but now the tablet will not work
with anything but the original AC adapter (I have other non-Nokia-made
power cables as well) and I'm afraid that it's only a matter of time
until it stops working with that. One of the other adapters that
doesn't work (adapts the the older larger barrel size to the new tiny
one) is actually a genuine Nokia part.

What possessed Nokia to use that teensy new plug size? (Besides the
obvious - but temporary - increase in revenue from selling their own
incredibly overpriced accessories...) The space savings inside the
device is negligible, especially when compared to the significant
reduction in mechanical strength and durability. Power input jacks are
*always* subject to major stress as well as extreme wear, especially
in devices that are this portable and used this much.

Somebody should design a new power connector system that would limit
any wear and damage to the cord and not allow any to the device's
inner workings. (And all manufacturers should be required to use
standard ones.) Apple's magnetic connector is a good example, but it's
too large for pocketable devices and strong magnetic fields are
*never* a good idea around electronic devices (or debit/credit or
other cards with magnetic stripes).

Mark