Re: [Fwd: Re: Claws Mail won't start]

On Sunday 18 January 2009 09:31:46 Peter Bart wrote:
> Posted on the list where it belongs.
> > From: Rick Bilonick <rab@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > I also said I was using the latest version of Diablo which has
> > everything updated. "uname -r" shows 2.6.21-omap1. (It's no longer
> > necessary to update the firmware by flashing.) I also said that when I
> > run claws-mail from an X terminal, no errors or warnings show up - but
> > also no process exists. It fails without any messages. Everything else
> > on the tablet works (the browser, camera, canola, abiword (both maemo
> > and debian), gnumeric, debian applications and desktop, via debian
> > chroot, etc., etc.) - only claws has stopped - even though all the
> > latest claws updates have been installed (via the application manager).
> >
> > I'm not sure what else to try.

This is really venturing beyond the scope of maemo-users but if I was in your
position I would use strace to run claws and see what system calls are being
called and whether something obvious is failing.

Installing and using strace is not a trivial task -- you might want to Google
a bit to learn about it.  But it is my suggestion for "what else to try".

Actually, before trying strace, I would double and triple check what is
actually being invoked when I type the command "claws-mail" (I assume that is
the command -- I have never used claws).  Start with "which claws-mail", then
look at the program file and see if it is a real executable or a link to
something else or a script or something (use the "file" command if you have
that installed).  Check that you are actually running the executable binary,
not something which may be trying to help but is hiding an error message from
you.

Graham