Re: Fighting through multiple notations identifying repositories.

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 09:07:48PM +0100, Thomas Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Dienstag, den 30.12.2008, 04:26 -0500 schrieb hendrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
> > I'm trying to find and install a package, the setuptools for
> > python2.5.  The package appears to be available online, but I have
> > no success in getting the applicatin manager to see it.  What am I
> > dong wrong?
>
> Well, what seems to confuse you is that the application manager does not
> show all available packages.

I guess that is the confusing point.  I should have guessed.

> By default it shows only the ones which are
> relevant for the end-user (to be more exact, all packages which are in a
> section which begins with user/) and i really would not call
> python2.5-setuptools a package which would be used by an end-user.

No, not really.  Except that this end user is trying to install a
package that does not have a .deb, and so has to install the needed
libraries himself.

> Packages which are not shown still can and will be installed if a
> package which depends on it is installed by the application manager.
> (I also assume that such an "invisible" package will be uninstalled
> automatically again by the application manager if no other installed
> package needs it anymore, but i am not 100% sure about this.)
>
> To check if a package is available and/or installed on your tablet, you
> always can call "apt-cache policy packagename" in xterm or via ssh. If
> you do not know the exact name of a package, you can use
>
> "apt-cache search keyword(s)", in this case
> "apt-cache search python setup" would be good search keywords.
>
> There is also the option to enable the so-called red-pill mode (see:
> http://wiki.maemo.org/Red_Pill), but this is not recommended for anyone
> as it might break your tablet.
>
> > And why do I have to translate betwen four different
> > notations for describing repositories by trial and error?
> >
> > I start by searching on gronmeyer.  Gronmeyer says:
> >
> > Diablo maemo extras
> > http://repository.maemo.org/extras/
> > diablo | free non-free
>
> Ok, to make it short, this would translate to:
>
> Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras/
> Components: free non-free
>
> You can choose the name in the application-manager by yourself, it has
> no impact on the function at all.
>
> The distribution field can be left empty, the application manager will
> use diablo if you are running diablo or chinook, if you are running
> chinook in this case.
>
> Anyway, the correct entry for extras should be configured by default in
> the application manager in a fresh install, the only thing which
> required an action from your side is to enable the repository, because
> it is disabled by default.

I suppose that means extra is now in the list twice.