Re: Fighting through multiple notations identifying repositories.

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 30.12.2008, 04:26 -0500 schrieb hendrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
> I'm trying to find and install a package, the setuptools for
> python2.5.  The package appears to be available online, but I have
> no success in getting the applicatin manager to see it.  What am I
> dong wrong?

Well, what seems to confuse you is that the application manager does not
show all available packages. By default it shows only the ones which are
relevant for the end-user (to be more exact, all packages which are in a
section which begins with user/) and i really would not call
python2.5-setuptools a package which would be used by an end-user.

Packages which are not shown still can and will be installed if a
package which depends on it is installed by the application manager.
(I also assume that such an "invisible" package will be uninstalled
automatically again by the application manager if no other installed
package needs it anymore, but i am not 100% sure about this.)

To check if a package is available and/or installed on your tablet, you
always can call "apt-cache policy packagename" in xterm or via ssh. If
you do not know the exact name of a package, you can use

"apt-cache search keyword(s)", in this case
"apt-cache search python setup" would be good search keywords.

There is also the option to enable the so-called red-pill mode (see:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Red_Pill), but this is not recommended for anyone
as it might break your tablet.

> And why do I have to translate betwen four different
> notations for describing repositories by trial and error?
>
> I start by searching on gronmeyer.  Gronmeyer says:
>
> Diablo maemo extras
> http://repository.maemo.org/extras/
> diablo | free non-free

Ok, to make it short, this would translate to:

Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras/
Components: free non-free

You can choose the name in the application-manager by yourself, it has
no impact on the function at all.

The distribution field can be left empty, the application manager will
use diablo if you are running diablo or chinook, if you are running
chinook in this case.

Anyway, the correct entry for extras should be configured by default in
the application manager in a fresh install, the only thing which
required an action from your side is to enable the repository, because
it is disabled by default.

> Is is a failure of the gronmayer site that is isn't clear where all
> these words go?

Well, i guess gronmayer could make it more clear which part in its
notation is the distribution and which are the components.

Regards,
Thomas

--
Thomas Schmidt, Debian VDR Team