Creating GPX for Maemo Mapper from Google Maps

I like to make GPX files on my desktop then download them to my tablet
for use by Maemo Mapper.

After grumbling that I had to screen-scrape output from gnuite.com
instead of "save to file", and having to copy addresses across from
Google Maps once I'd found some that worked, I've finally written my own
script using the Google API and then parsing KML.

It doesn't work with multiple destinations, but it will do "avoid
highway" and "walk". I think "Toll" would work on the onscreen map but
not in GPX. The interactive map won't let you edit the route
graphically, but you can paste in a link from a customized route on
Google Maps and convert that to GPX. These limitations may be fixable
with more work - I just copied an "advanced directions example"

http://gpx.geotags.com/

The site also works for live downloads. I was playing with multi-homing
using DNS so it's currently on 2 servers. If anyone wants to clone it
onto another server, or take the code and improve it, please ask.

I found examples for geocoding addresses in Python on google developers,
i.e. generating a lat,long from an address in a URL and giving a
developer key. But not for generating directions - only in JavaScript and
Flash. So what I'm doing is asking for output from maps.google.com in
KML, based on what Google Earth does, then parsing it in Perl. Seems to
work.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)