Re: Limited life of flash memory

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 9:36 AM, Igor Stoppa <igor.stoppa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I can only repeat my advice: why don't you do some reading at least
> about jffs2?

Because it's irrelevant in discussions about removable flash memory.
Jffs2 only applies to embedded flash - it can't operate on devices
that have a dedicated controller between the actual memory and the
host device. Even when it is used, as I said before it can't protect
you from every possible scenario. People have had problems with the
internal memory on N810s.

Another issue is that wear levelling depends on there being a certain
amount of free memory in order to shuffle the data around. Most use
dynamic rather than static wear levelling, which reduces the
effectiveness even further when there is little free space. If your
card is almost full (or even more than half full), the effectiveness
of wear levelling is reduced. Cache can only do so much.

Mark