Re: Limited life of flash memory

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Igor Stoppa <igor.stoppa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would recommend you to do some reading about jffs2, ubifs and wear
> levelling in general.
>
> Then you'll understand better what people are trying to tell you.
> --
>
> Cheers, Igor

The problem is that I *do* understand wear levelling. Just as some
people think that simply having anti-virus software is a 100%
guarantee that they can never get a virus, you seem to think that wear
levelling is 100% protection against all possibility of flash failure.
That is *obviously* not the case. There are all kinds of problems that
can occur that are not related to repeated write operations. Even the
most sophisticated error-correction can't protect you from a defect in
the error correction itself. Memory of *any* kind is far more complex
than just bits on a chip.

How do you explain the fact that flash memory *does* fail? There have
been posts on this very list about such failures.

Mark