Re: the hell of Maemo repos

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 11:54 AM, sebastian maemo
<sebastian.maemo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2008/11/21 Mark <wolfmane@xxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> In their defense (shocking coming from me, I know...), it's exactly
>> this kind of nightmare they're trying to prevent. By making people use
>> the official repositories instead of putting things in their personal
>> servers all over the Internet, it will make things easier to find and
>> hopefully more reliable.
>
> I know Mark... I fully agree with the discipline of unifying repos in Maemo
> main server... but if that means that they're going to judge which software
> is "convenient" or not... then it's not so interesting...
>
> In Debian repos you can find everything: free, non-free, restricted or
> anything. Without any kind of censorship... I stopped using SuSE because of
> this censorship...
>
> Maemo is based on Debian not on SuSE... I hope...
>
> Nevertheless I'm frustrated because of the community not for my individual
> case...
>
> In fact, I've already downloaded kismet from a private repo, and now that I
> do NOT trust Maemo anymore... I'm storing my own repo site, collecting the
> deb packages for my 770 and anyone who cares about freedom of use and
> continued service (what kind of service are we receiving from Nokia as Maemo
> users?... we're supposed to be customers!)
>
> Salut,
> Sebas.

I get what you're saying, but remember that Nokia is in this for the
money, not for others' benefit or because it's the right thing to do.
That means "planned obsolescence" is in effect, as well as control (in
other words, *not* true FOSS) and other things...

Mark