Re: Diablo mail application bug?

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 1:34 PM,  <Dirk-Jan.Binnema@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Henrik, Marius,

[snip]

>> There should be three buttons.
>>
>>   'Save draft and close', 'Close without saving', 'Continue editing'
>
> In general, I like the more informative, GNOME-style buttons as you
> propose; however, there are two issues:
>
> i)   changing the ok/cancel to these more explicit titles would be
>     inconsistent with the rest of the UI. I don't necessarily always
>     agree with the UI consistency-über-alles rule, but it's an uphill
>     battle to change that. Even having three button is too 'diverse'...

(Search (ctrl-E in Modest) presents three buttons...)
Problem to me is that the 'Cancel' button doesn't cancel the operation
that initiated the dialog: the closing of the window. I'm not going to
make this a big issue but I find it really confusing although I can
see the driving force behind it is consistency. Even hitting the right
button (that is, "OK") forces the user to change folder and reopen the
mail.

I may be wrong here (I'm no UI guru) but aren't these kinds of dialogs
usually addressing the issue negatively:

"Are you sure you want to disregard changes?"

Then the two choices "OK" and "Cancel" would make more sense to me;
cancelling would take you back to your message giving you the chance
to save your draft before closing the window.

> ii)  even in english, the names are quite long; in many other languages
>     these longer names may not fit on the screen.
>
> However, I agree that 'Cancel' is misleading here. But at least, after
> loosing your mail once, one will not forget...

I'm not going to argue that I'm representative, but I don't seem to
learn at all. I use emacs for most of my work and ctrl-W means
something else there. As a result I unintentionally close windows
quite often. And I intentinally click "Cancel" every time thinking
it's the right thing to do...

I thought it was a mistake, but if it isn't, I'll try to learn!

best,

Henrik