Re: Fennec vs MicroB

ext Fernando Cassia wrote:
> I do remember about the Nokia funding. Yeah it made very little sense
> to fund Mozilla then choose Opera. But corporations do those things...
> I'm getting used to it.

Indeed, corporations better invest in research on many interesting
technologies available in order to keep and grow their competence.

And in fact the timeline went more like this:

Nokia and Opera Software had cooperated since 2000 and Nokia devices
were shipped with Opera browsers at least in 2003 already. [1]

The support the Minimo project was announced in 2004 [2] but never
resulted as such in a commercial quality product.

During 2005, Nokia's S60 browser development team ported WebKit to the
S60 platform. [3]

In 2007 the Maemo team released the first Mozilla based browser shipped
in a commercial mobile device. [4]

In 2008 Mozilla started the Fennec releases using Maemo as primary
testing platform. [5]

[1] http://www.aftenposten.no/english/business/article754860.ece
[2] http://news.cnet.com/Nokia-cash-boosts-Mozilla/2100-7344_3-5236730.html
[3] http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/S60Webkit