Re: Fennec vs MicroB

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Jose Manrique Lopez de la Fuente
<jsmanrique@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My suspects:
>
> Years ago, Nokia started a project to get a full linux device running
> gtk based apps, with matchbox window manager and gecko based browser.
> That's how minimo started, funded by a R&D Nokia project. After
> months, Nokia decided to use Opera in its first linux/gtk/mb device,
> and the minimo team started on its windowsce version....

Sorry if that's the case, I never heard of that part of the story.
When I complained/asked why they were targetting a platform which
already had a decent built-in browser (ie if you buy a pocketPC with a
Microsoft OS then it's expected you'd be happy with MSFT's solutions
and Microsoft's own browser to begin with) instead of selecting a
platform which had a good market share (at the time more than MSFT)
like PalmOS, the answer I got was "we selected WinCE because that's
the OS we the developers are familiar with". Period. End of story.

> That are my thoughts., based in my experience in GPE and MB projects
> (in their early stages...)

I do remember about the Nokia funding. Yeah it made very little sense
to fund Mozilla then choose Opera. But corporations do those things...
I'm getting used to it.

FC