Good News - WIFI NOT Borked after Update

All.

after reading the thread started by Dimitry Makovey and entitled "WIFI
Borked after Update", I hit the (mental) "Pause" button on the idea of
going ahead with updating my N800 with the ~33mb OS update from Nokia
that was published a few weeks ago.

I took some time to see what other (intrepid)  pioneers of this OS
update would have to say on the thread started by Dimitry about their
experience. Once I read enough (but without enough time to read and
ponder all of the posts in that thread) I decided to go a head and "let
er rip".

Maybe I was lucky this time but, for my N800 the OS update seems to have
worked although there is a new window on my "IT top" that informs me
that "Video Center is here". I will figure out what that means when I
get some time to do so.
My decision to do the upgrade was made somewhat more risky due to the
fact that, for some reason, the backup/restore utility on my N800, it
would seem, and to use Dimitry's language, is itself "borked".
Nonetheless I pushed th "lets do it" button on the upgrade. Now that the
upgrade seems to have worked, and the 802.11 interface is still
operative, I will go back and see if the upgrade somehow "fixed" (we all
know that such fixing CAN happen even when it is not an announced part
of a given upgrade) what ever caused the borking of the backup/restore
utility.

My caution in "committing" to  this upgrade derives from the fact that I
actually need to be able to use the N800 for daily business purposes
and, my only mobile fall back option is to use the tiny screen of a
Windows Mobile based handset with a much more limited browser,
Internet Explorer Mobile. Thus, although I have put a number of apps on
this device, I have not used it as an experimental system by any stretch
of the imagination, nor have I "bored and stroked" this device as some
on this list have done in order to explore its outer limits.

I want to thank Dimitry and the other "pioneers" who got borked for
sharing their experiences and for the Nokia folk for rushing into the
breach to figure out what happened in his particular case. It looks like
this time, at least, I won't be spending the better part of a weekend
restoring a device borked by a failed upgrade. And that is a good thing.

--

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Acadia Secure Networks, LLC