Re: Offline mode from the command-line?

Excellent.
I have often thought about this functionality but never had time to follow up :)

(just posting so I don't lose it in the noise, please accept my thanks)

gary (lcuk on #maemo)

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Matan Ziv-Av <matan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Tony Green wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A couple of questions about offline mode.
>
> Is there a way to put my N800 into offline mode from a command-line?
> The sort of thing I'm looking at doing is to run my nightly N800
> backup to my server over SSH, then for the server to issue a command
> telling it to go offline to save battery power..

If you keep bluetooth off, and tell it to never look for wireless
networks (change "search interval" to never), then you get something
similar to offline mode.

Then you can disconnect from network with

dbus-send --system --dest=com.nokia.icd /com/nokia/icd_ui com.nokia.icd_ui.disconnect boolean:true

And reconnect to a specific network with

dbus-send --type=method_call --system --dest=com.nokia.icd /com/nokia/icd com.nokia.icd.connect string:$NET uint32:0

where $NET is the network name (that appears in the connect dialog)
before diablo, and network id since diablo. You can find the network id
by a command similar to

gconftool-2 -R /system/osso/connectivity/IAP | grep -B 15 home1

The id is the long string of hex digits.

--
Matan Ziv-Av.                         matan@xxxxxxxxxxx