Re: USB keyboard on n800?

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 6:50 AM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 23:49:08 +0100, Matt Emson wrote:
>
>> This should get you started...
>>
>> Get what the mode is currently set:
>> cat /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode)
>>
>> Turn off the onscreen kbd:
>> gconftool-2 -t bool -s /system/osso/af/keyboard-attached true
>>
>> Turn on the onscreen kbd - this is important as is sometimes doesn't
>> happen -though it should: gconftool-2 -t bool -s
>> /system/osso/af/keyboard-attached false
>>
>> Set host mode:
>> echo host > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode
>
> This worked, and it recognized that I had plugged in a USB device.
> Unfortunately, it indicated this by popping up a window saying "USB
> device not supported".
>
> This message goes away after a second or two.  If I keep my keyboard
> plugged in and wait a little while, it pops up, "Unable to connect, no
> file system available".  Well, it would surprise me if it thought my
> keyboard had a file system.
>
> (Although actually, it does have a file system.  It remembers what you've
> typed in while disconnected, so it can type it in on autopilot when it is
> connected later.  But I don't think it makes it available as a file
> system over the USB port.
>
> On my desktop Debian machine, it's recognized as an ordinary USB
> keyboard.  So evidently, there's something else that has to be done.
>
> - hendrik

My Gyration wireless keyboard gives me the same errors, but the
keyboard works anyway. What's actually happening in my case is that
the interface includes both keyboard and mouse and the mouse isn't
being recognized. They apparently omitted and/or disabled any mouse
drivers with the Tablet OS. My keyboard works normally, however. (The
Gyration is the only USB keyboard I have.)

You don't mention whether you went ahead and tried to use the keyboard
or just gave up when you saw the messages. If you're lucky, it might
work in spite of the error messages like mine does. If not, it
probably means that whatever hardware and/or software enables the
keyboard to utilize the memory function doesn't react 100% like a
standard keyboard when the OS initiates handshaking. There's not much
you can do about that, unless you can write and install your own
driver...

HTH,
Mark