Re: Another annoyance: bluetooth icon disappears

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 7:01 AM, Eero Tamminen <eero.tamminen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ext Mark wrote:
>>
>> Wonderful... yet another "wontfix" response to usability issues...
>
> If I understood this correctly, the enhancement requested that
> for a set of users who use separate bluetooth keyboard, the
> pre-installed device software usability would be improved by
> changing the UI as proposed in the bug.
>
> This was replied with:
> -----------
> However, we have a strong requirement to reduce the amount of permanent
> Status bar indicators.

"We" who? Obviously not users....

Besides, one can choose to hide any of the status bar icons if it's
too cluttered, and even pick the order. The problem is that certain
ones can't be pinned there.

> Status bar is crowded already and we should
> prefer temporary Status indicators (like alarm and usb indicators).
> The primary function of Status bar indicators is to indicate status -
> controlling something from there is secondary.

Oh, yeah, that makes a whole lot of sense... NOT! Eating up valuable
screen real estate with what amounts to "idiot lights" rather than
allowing the user to quickly access settings and/or detailed
information through tapping on those icons is poor design.

> Of course you may
> disagree and can continue that discussion in some other forum ;)
>
> We are going to change this design in future releases. Maybe not as
> a permanent indicator, but let's see.
> -----------
>
> I think better time to do UI enhancement requests is when Nokia does
> software alpha / beta releases for the forthcoming product / release,
> not when it's already released and in bugfix phase.  Especially if you
> want it for the same HW.
>
> However, I don't understand what's the problem with this functionality
> being offered by a 3rd party component if the component is easily
> available from the extras repository?

There are several problems with your reasoning.
1) It's extremely poor design. It would have been trivial to add a
single checkbox to the settings that makes the icon stay on the status
bar, but the attitude is that "we don't want you to have that
functionality at all because we think there are too many status bar
icons." What's wrong with letting the user decide whether the status
bar is too cluttered or not?
2) The attitude that "your concerns and use cases are irrelevant".
This attitude is pervasive in open source.
3) If it's that easy for a 3rd party to add the functionality, then it
would be trivial for Nokia, at any time whatsoever. 3rd party
solutions for such basic functionality are never as accessible or
integrated as OEM.
4) The issue is NOT just for bluetooth keyboard users. It also applies
to bluetooth headsets, bluetooth GPSs, and every other bluetooth
peripheral device. In no case can the external device turn on the
tablet's bluetooth radio. It can "wake up" the radio if it is turned
on and "sleeping", but it cannot turn the radio on if it is completely
off. The radio can only be turned on and off from the tablet itself,
and can only be turned on by going through much more than a trivial
number of menu levels. Therefore, most people who use a bluetooth
connection are going to leave the bluetooth radio turned on all the
time, thereby reducing battery life, even if only by a little.

Mark