Re: Diablo's Modest/Email

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Simon Budig <simon@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mark (wolfmane@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> [...]
>> > Not that I am surprised that you did not get the message...
>>
>> Right, again with the insults. Really helpful...
>
> Look, I did not start throwing stuff like "Baloney! You really don't
> know what you are talking about." around.
>
> You seem to be utterly convinced that you're basically the only one
> knowing what we're actually discussing (and I guess to a certain extent
> this is true, since you keep adding topics to the discussion and
> redefining words: "Mail" suddenly no longer includes "Spam" etc.)
>
> If someone shows evidence that your statement is just wrong you just
> redefine the semantics of the words you used, insult the contradictor
> and hope that nobody notices.
>
> "I've never seen a message that didn't have a unique Message ID."
>
> now has been redefined by you to mean "I've never seen a non-spam
> message sent by a not-broken Mail client that didn't have a unique
> Message ID". Which you'd recognize as a radically different statement if
> you'd care.

Fine. If you want to see lots of spam, that's your prerogative. Leave me out.

> Let alone the fact that there are plenty of scenarios where one and the
> same Mail can end up multiple times in your inbox and so of course would
> have the same Message-ID, e.g. when you send a mail to multiple
> mailinglists you're all subscribed to.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but if you sent the message, it's
already in your sent mail folder. Why do you need *any* copies of it
in your inbox?

But if you _really_ want all those duplicate messages, simply change
the filter to ignore messages that you or those mailing lists
originate. Piece of cake!

> Sure, this probably is not a problem for you, since you (guessing here)
> prefer the mail client to not present you the same email multiple times.
> I probably should have guessed that from your original statement as
> well.

Why do you want multiple copies of a single outgoing message? The
fail to see the attraction of multiple identical copies of messages.

> I stick to my conclusion, that the Message-IDs as defined in the
> relevant RFCs are not suitable to uniquely identify instances of mails
> stored on some kind of mailserver. While this kind of usage might not
> hurt for certain usage patterns and even might have beneficial side
> effects it is not fail-proof enough to provide the "one-size-fits-all"
> solution.
>
> Go ahead, tell me that this is not what we're discussing.
>
> Bye,
>        Simon

It's what we're discussing, your logic is just faulty.

Mark