Re: Diablo's Modest/Email

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Tuukka Tolvanen
<tuukka.tolvanen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> No, mirroring imap content at some of the clients by no means negates
> various advantages of imap. :)

Sure it does, because you're now doing offline email, and you've
downloaded it, the absence of which is supposed to be the strongest
selling point of IMAP.

...Which is actually *not* good for bandwidth, because what doesn't
get downloaded for offline use actually uses *more* bandwidth in the
long run because a message has to be downloaded (the full data is
transmitted, regardless of the viewing method) each and every time it
is read, whereas with offline email it is only downloaded once for
each machine, and not even that if you're doing direct or LAN syncing
of any sort.

Using the inappropriate term "mirroring" in no way changes that reality.

Once you're downloading full messages, you're squarely in the
territory of POP3, and there's nothing that IMAP does that's different
or better than POP3, and in fact it's only the client software that
matters; the protocol is irrelevant.

For years, Eudora has had the capability of downloading and/or
deleting only selected messages via POP3. I now get the same
functionality by using Pine or Gmail's Web interface to delete
messages I don't want to keep. Then only - and all - the messages I
want are downloaded to Thunderbird. It's quicker and easier than it
sounds. Actually, I wouldn't even have to do that if Gmail didn't have
such a strange (and non-POP3-compliant) fetching mechanism and I
didn't want to back up particularly important work messages at home.

Mark