Re: apt-get vs. hildon-application-manager in Diablo

"ext Andrew Daviel" <advax@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Now with Diablo there is a scheduled update that keeps flashing at me if
> everything is not up-to-date.

If you don't want the blinking icon, you can disable the plugin
via "Control panel > Panels > Status bar > Software update notifier".

> hildon-application-manager reads a catalogue list out of
> /etc/hildon-application-manager/catalogues (an XML file), and
> creates /etc/apt/sources.list.d/hildon-application-manager.list each
> time.
> "hildon-application-manager-config dump" dumps out the XML
> "hildon-application-manager-config set" blows it away (duh)
> "hildon-application-manager-config set xx.xml" resets it to the contents
> of xx.xml

Correct.  There is also "h-a-m-config add" and "delete" in addition to
"set".  ("Set" without arguments is a bit brutal, agreed.  I changed it
to fail when given no arguments.)

> apt-get reads /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
> If you add more lists, or edit hildon-application-manager.list (as I
> did) you will have a sync problem and perhaps duplicate entries.

Adding sources to /etc/apt/sources.list should be fine, but
/etc/apt/hildon-application-manager.list will be overwritten from time
to time.

In any case, the Application manager and apt-get will always use the
same repositories (unless there is a bug somewhere).

> I'm a bit confused why it would want to upgrade rsync to the same
> version, and why it would want to downgrade maemo-mapper.

Did you check the epochs of the versions?  Also, if the versions are the
same, but the packages differ in other details (like dependencies,
maintainer, size) then apt-get (and the AM) will prefer the package in
the repository.

> Perhaps something to do with my having had a Bora repository in the
> catalogue -

Yes, messed up repositories are the most likely reason for the
strangeness you see.

> the newer Nokia repositories have a sort-weight entry which the older and
> 3rd-party ones don't, which may affect which repositories are searched
> for updates first.

No, the sort weight is only used to sort the repositories for display in
the "Catalogues" dialog of the AM.  They are not used to prefer certain
repositories over others.

> Right now I managed to blow away my XML catalogue completely and but
> saved most of it by copying the dump from my xterm window. But I'm
> missing some off the end, such as the <notifier> entry and perhaps
> some of the keys.  - does anyone know where I can download a clean
> copy from (without flashing!) or can send me a copy ?

You should be able to just run

    # /var/lib/dpkg/info/nokia-repository.postinst

that should bring back your catalogue configuration.  Or open that file
in an editor and restore the configuration manually.

Other packages of interest are the '*-domain' packages:

    # dpkg -l *-domain