Re: Power consumption and WLAN APs

I have done some more tests with the Proxim AP4000, but I still cannot
see a problem in the protocol. I have put an ammeter inline between the
N810 battery and connectors so I can see the current consumption in real
time - it is pretty impressive that it can draw virtually no current at
all (<10mA on a 1A scale) and still respond to incoming network traffic
or a cron job.

I took an AP4000 home and modified the configuration to work without
Radius authentication. At work, we have multiple AP4000's with 3 SSID's
each, using (mostly) non-overlapping channels 1,6,11. But there may still
be some in-channel interference from our or foreign APs.

With the AP4000 broadcasting one SSID (which the N810 is associated
with), power consumption is low in PS mode. An incoming packet, e.g. ICMP
ping, gives a brief kick on the ammeter.
My Linksys AP broadcasting on the same channel makes no difference -
there are two beacon frames, one for each SSID, but power consumed is
low.

With the AP4000 broadcasting 2 or 3 SSIDs on different VLANs, then power
consumption rises to an average 100mA. If "broadcast unique beacon" is
disabled for all SSIDs, then the power consumption is low. The AP
broadcasts only one beacon, with no identifier. But if it is enabled for
one or more SSIDs, the consumption can rise:

With beacon SSID enabled on "triumf" but disabled on "test" - <10mA
With beacon SSID enabled on "triumf" and enabled on "test" - 100mA
With beacon SSID disabled on "triumf" but enabled on "test" - 100mA
With beacon SSID disabled on "triumf" and disabled on "test" - <10mA
(The N810 is associated with "triumf")

Capture files on
http://andrew.triumf.ca/reqauth/PSM/

I can see nothing in the capture file (madwifi libpcap -i ath0, no
filters) from the tablet after it responds to the ping, but it is
consuming power. I might be able
to try a spectrum analyzer, but not today.

This is driving me crazy .. I'd give up if there weren't such dramatic
power savings when it works properly.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)