Re: What is flash?

Karl got NAND and NOR swapped (read at the bottom).

"Flashing your n810" means that the NAND flash will be erased and new
software version will be downloaded to your device and stored in the
NAND flash.

So if you flash your n810 (or n800 or n770), all data is removed from
flash and a brand new Linux OS will be written into the flash. Since
all user data (bookmarks, contacts, media files, ...) is also written
in flash this data is lost while flashing your device.

With Diablo for the n810 there is an end to flashing (and thus loosing
all your data). Now a same mechanism as on the PC is used: packages
are updated via a package manager so a new kernel, libraries or a
Nokia application can automatically be installed. I do not know if
this is only done on a user request or if you have to initiate this
yourself. Unfortunately my n810 got fried after 1 day and I was unable
to install Diablo :-( (will hopefully get a new one this week).

Quoting Karl Kobel <karlkobel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> NAND is like non-volatile RAM and is used for program execution. It
> takes more space to create a bit, so are smaller in size. Not sure, but
> I don't believe this type is used in the Nokia's.
>
> NOR is higher in density, and is the type used in SD cards.

It's the other way around:

NOR flash is used for program execution, NAND for SD cards and such.
Normally both types are used: a small NOR flash contains a program
(called boot-loader) to load the real software from NAND flash into RAM.
After loading and unpacking (sometimes images are stored in NAND flash
in a kind of .zip file) the real software (Linux kernel) will be
executed.

If you like to compare this to your PC then the BIOS is NOR flash
(this is where the boot-loader is stored that will load the software
from your hard disk) and the hard disk can be compared with the NAND
flash.

Regards,

Rob