Re: Flashed Diablo to N810 without holding down the Switch Window button

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 11:34:56PM -0400, Ryan Abel wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Rick Bilonick <rab@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I flashed Diablo to my N810 but forgot to hold down the switch window
> > button. But everything appears to work - I can connect to the Internet,
> > install and run apps. Should I re-flash it? What does holding down the
> > switch button do?
> >

> Holding down the Home/Swap button isn't a required step, it just makes
> the timing a little easier by forcing the tablet into flashing mode.
> You can certainly flash without holding it down, you just have to be a
> little more deft in your execution.
>
> It's easier to tell people to just hold down Home/Swap than try to
> explain the technique without it, or hope they get lucky.

I never understood the luckyness/deftness part of this.

  1. You run the flasher and it waits for a USB device to appear
  2. You connect the cable and press the power button.
  3. The device always looks for the flasher at boot (holding down Home
     just makes it keep looking forever, AFAIU), and the flasher is
     there waiting already.

Where does luck enter into this?

I'd understand the need for holding down Home if you swapped steps (1)
and (2) in the instructions.  Then the device might stop looking for the
flasher before you run it.

Marius Gedminas
--
Q:      What's tiny and yellow and very, very, dangerous?