Re: RoadMap on Maemo

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 9:11 PM, Joshua Layne <joshua@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mark wrote:

>>> try using getmaps - that's what roadmap for maemo uses to get the OSM
>>> maps
>>> - you should be able to use the coordinates from the control panel cache
>>> and bound it within a bounding box.
>>>

>> That's not very user-friendly: if you want maps for someplace you've
>> never been, you have to look up the coordinates first, then hope you
>> get all the areas you need. That actually goes for your home area as
>> well, and you'll have to make multiple downloads to get the the
>> relevant areas without too much of what you don't need.
>>

> I agree, but there is also a 'download current view' option - just doesn't
> work so well if you don't have a good 'current view' - which is what I was
> responding to Marius about (he was in a building with no GPS fix).  I would
> love to see it get to the point where you can set an autodownload flag
> (similar to maemo mapper) and just have it automagically get maps (I usually
> have a tethered connection on the road), but it is progressing...

This is fine if you have an Internet connection, but useless if you
don't. Offline maps are *always* more reliable than online. Even if
you have a working Internet connection, there are times when servers
are down, traffic is high and you can't connect, etc., etc...

I don't have a tethered connection at all (and am unlikely to ever get
one unless the prices come down drastically), so auto-downloading is
useless for me except for pre-downloading areas/routes by panning
around manually. I do that in Maemo-Mapper, but it's time-consuming
and painful for large areas.

>> Wishful thinking: it would be great if there was some way to download
>> maps by city, region (state, province, etc) or country rather than
>> hard bounding boxes. Very few cities are perfect circles or squares.
>> :-) I imagine that's up to OSM, though, and they would probably have
>> to revamp the I/O mechanism & specs to deal with it.
>>

> You can download county-by-county for the US, but the maps are not based on
> OSM, rather on the census data.
>>
>> Although I would personally like to be able to download the "world"
>> package and have everything accessible at once. I don't know if
>> there's any way to load that into Roadmap...
>>

> roadmap doesn't load much more than what it needs into memory - if you
> zoomed out to view the world (not sure that has ever been successful in
> roadmap :P) then it could load all of it - it would just be discarding 99%
> of the information at that point (declutter)

There's a huge difference between "loading into memory" and having
offline data available on disk. Very few apps (and no mapping apps
that I know of) load all their data into memory at once. The point is
that by having the whole database available offline at once, whether
or not you have an Internet connection at that critical unforseen
moment when you need that crucial bit of data is irrelevant.

The situation where that is really important is in searching for
locations and/or routing to areas you haven't been before and there
isn't and probably won't be for the foreseeable future any Internet
access at all. For example, large national parks (especially
mountainous ones) or large, sparsely-populated and largely untraveled
areas.

Internet access, be it landline or wireless, follows demand and
economic viability. I understand that there are many countries that
are blanketed with coverage, but in the Americas there are *huge*
areas that will probably *never* have affordable, reliable coverage.

> again though, I am primarily a user, sometimes a tester and rarely a
> submitter of really ugly patches to the project, so my voice is not
> definitive.  There are probably features I still don't know about.
>
> If you get past the map issues, there are a lot of cool things you can do
> with the UI, I'd be happy to share the config that I use for roadmap on the
> N810 (far from the defaults)
>
> Rgds,
> josh

I would be interested in your config, and what exactly it does for
you, but "the map issues" are pretty much a deal-killer for a mapping
program...

One thing that annoys me is that all of the mapping apps for the
tablet that I've tried use a teensy font for the speed, elevation,
etc. Some allow you to change the font size, but that applies to
everything, and generally screws up the display completely if you try
a size that's reasonably viewable for the data I mentioned. Does your
config address that?

Thanks,
Mark