Re: RoadMap on Maemo

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Joshua Layne <joshua@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> That's my problem with it. The app itself seems to work fine, but I
>>> can't find a way to load any maps to it other than the extremely dated
>>> version that it finds.
>
> try using getmaps - that's what roadmap for maemo uses to get the OSM maps
> - you should be able to use the coordinates from the control panel cache
> and bound it within a bounding box.

That's not very user-friendly: if you want maps for someplace you've
never been, you have to look up the coordinates first, then hope you
get all the areas you need. That actually goes for your home area as
well, and you'll have to make multiple downloads to get the the
relevant areas without too much of what you don't need.

Wishful thinking: it would be great if there was some way to download
maps by city, region (state, province, etc) or country rather than
hard bounding boxes. Very few cities are perfect circles or squares.
:-) I imagine that's up to OSM, though, and they would probably have
to revamp the I/O mechanism & specs to deal with it.

Although I would personally like to be able to download the "world"
package and have everything accessible at once. I don't know if
there's any way to load that into Roadmap...

Mark