Re: Can't find repository

On Jun 30, 2008, at 3:57 PM, Aaron Newcomb wrote:

>>> What's wrong with expecting "Application Manager" to manage apps?
>>
>> nfs-common is not an app.
>
> So what. There should still be an easier way to get it installed.
> Instead of not including nfs-common in Application Manager why don't
> we change the name to Software Manager or Feature Manager. This is a
> poor excuse for not including it and I hope this is not the reason
> it's not in there any more.

Red Pill, perhaps? There are plenty of easy ways to install it.

Things like nfs-common aren't applications and don't go in User/
because they're not things a regular user should have to care about.
"Application manager" makes perfect sense here, considering that nfs-
common and things like that _aren't applications_.

>> Most of the users don't know what's NFS, if the application manager
>> would list all non-UI programs, the list would be pretty unusable for
>> those kind of users.
>
> That's why we have categories for the apps. You will only see all of
> them if you click on "All". BTW - There are way too many categories.
> We need to trim these down a bit.

This is purely a packaging issue, and has been discussed to death on -
developers.

>> I usually install first ssh to the device, then log to it through ssh
>> from desktop (to flash it, you already needed to be near your desktop
>> anyway) and install anything I'm interested about with apt-get.  It's
>> much faster than using application manager.
>>

> For me and you yes, but the general user I think is going to be
> happier with point and click.

. . . and that's what they get. Personally, I don't know any "general
users" interested in nfs-common. . . .