Re: Application Manager - Refresh application list

There are still a number of "bugs" in the GUI version, I for one would like to see some data as it tries the repositories, however, I spend about 90% of my time ssh'ed into the n810 even with a KB and terminal. It's just easier.

Try this, I know you don't like the terminal:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade

The last two commands are kind of redundant, and you could just do the dist-upgrade.

Let me know how the Application Repository works after this.

Denis

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:39 PM, Mark <wolfmane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:26 PM, Denis Dimick <dgdimick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Mark <wolfmane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> The "Refresh application list" function of Application Manager
>> invariably stalls before completion, and I have to cancel and try at
>> least 3 times, often more, before it finally successfully completes.
>> I've tried just letting it go to see if it will resume, but it will
>> sit for hours without any change. Does anybody else experience this?
>>
>> Mark
> If you just let it sit there, it should finally fail and tell you what
> repository's failed.
>
> Or use apt-get update from the command line and see what errors out.
>
> HtH,
>
> Denis

But that's not very graceful, and why should the whole process fail
just because of a temporary issue with one repository? It should go
ahead and refresh all the others so that updates and installs can
proceed. When it's done, it could then say "Packages on such-and-such
repository could not be accessed or updated because the server didn't
respond" or some such message so the user knows that not necessarily
all available updates have been made.

I've only had it give up and give me a message a few times. Most of
the time it sits there so long that there's really no point in waiting
- it's far quicker to just cancel and try again, even several times.

Going to a terminal kinda defeats the whole purpose of a GUI app
manager, especially for a touchscreen device that doesn't have a real
keyboard. It also doesn't allow you to select apps from a list - you
have to already know what you want.

Mark