Re: Diablo released

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Dave Sherohman <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So...  As someone who hasn't been following Diablo, doesn't use a mail
> reader on my N800, already has my accounts and service providers set up,
> never sees Chinese characters outside of spam, and rarely/never zooms
> web pages, is there any reason for me to bother flashing my tablet (for
> the last time?) today instead of waiting for Diablo + 1?

Visually, the absence of double-taps on the vkb and jerky finger
panning in the browser are both big improvements that I noticed
immediately.

Other than that, you won't notice huge changes.

Whether the seamless updates matter to you when going from major
version to major version, it is certainly better having a more robust
application manager that is capable of such things. I have already
been impressed at how it handled reinstalling my apps after flashing
and failing gracefully on the apps that were missing from diablo
repositories. It is definitely more solid.

Also, while Diablo will run the vast majority of apps built for
Chinook today, the same cannot be said for future apps built for
Diablo running on Chinook since they may require versions of libraries
that got updated in Diablo; particularly those requiring libssl as
security patches may make it into 0.9.8 (diablo) that won't make it
into 0.9.7 (chinook).

You also may have to wait a *long* time for another updated firmware
to come out whereas you probably won't have to wait long for updates
(feature, security and bugfixes) to start trickling through via SSU.

In the end, no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to
reflash. But in my experience, after making a backup just before
reflashing and letting the first-boot process restore it after, the
reflash was the least painful that I have encountered so far.

/Mike