Re: Nokia: Linux Needs to Learn Business

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 01:31:51AM +0200, Luca Olivetti wrote:
> In the case of the wifi chip you could buy it from atheros or ralink
> (and I'm sure there are other), that at least have open drivers, and
> don't base their business model on linux without giving anything back
> like broadcom.

As I mentioned earlier, the real challenge in the mobile space is
getting chipsets which combine multiple functions (cell phone
services, GPS, wifi, 3G, etc.) into a single chipset, using very low
power consumption so devices can be both (a) lightweight, and (b) have
a decent battery lifespan.

It's not that hard to make something that is the size and weight of an
OpenMoko device, but most people like their cell phones light and
thin, and for 99.99% of the population out there, this plus "must be
low cost" tends to trump considerations such as open drivers.  If
you'd like to try to convince the general population that they should
ditch their Blackberries and RZOR's for Open Moko's, please don't let
me stop you....

					- Ted