Re: OOo on N8x0

I did some work on getting Debian up and running on my 770 some time
ago. It wasn't easy nor it wasn't hard. You just had to to it rather
manually so my take on this is that it isn't straightforward enough
for an end user to install. Moreover, one of the issues I ran into
when fiddling around with Debian on my 770 were:

1) installed OS too big (around 300MB just to get the base system)
2) no sound or wifi (although the wifi could be made to work by using
the binary drivers)
3) if you're going to try to replace the desktop (as I was)
integrating everything might be a bit of a pain (especially launching
the virtual keyboard, etc.)
4) no custom kernel (this has been discussed ad-infinitum on the
developers list) or initfs
5) packages are not optimised for the processors so the whole OS is a
tad (3+ mins to get the desktop up and running?) slow. It could also
be that I was toying with a vanilla version of Debian, i.e. no
tweaking at all, this was more of a proof of concept really

There are, however, some efforts heading towards the direction of
having a full free (as in freedom) OS for the tablets. Just check out
the incredible work the guys at mamona are doing. But then again, this
project is not ready for end users. Look up the user johnx on ITT,
applex or even ulises (me) to see the related posts.

Cheerio!

2008/5/22 Hendrik Boom <hendrik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Thu, 22 May 2008 03:14:34 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>

>> It looks as if it's scheduled for release as part of lenny, and that the
>> architecture will be called armel.  I would love to find out how to boot
>> the Debian installer for my n800.
>>
>> http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort
>>

> They also list getting the Debian installer to work as one of the things
> on their to-to list.  I wonder how they installed it on their development
> machines.
>
> -- hendrik

Ulises Cerviño Beresi

...y miren lo que son las cosas que para que nos vieran nos tapamos el
rostro; para que nos nombraran nos negamos el nombre; apostamos el presente
para tener futuro y para vivir...morimos.
--- Subcomandante Marcos. Ejército Zapatista de Liberación Nacional.