Re: Microb Versus Mozilla Fennec

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Uwe Kaminski <jukey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That sounds very nice! I do want take a look... :)
> ...but is it possible to use the browser without a hardware keyboard?
> The virtual one of os2008 doesen't work, right?
>
> My first impressions are:
> - no field for input urls (only ctrl+t works)
> - no menu / not hildonized
> - very instable (crashes sometimes)
> - the .desktop-link works not correctly (using it the browser shows my
> the root directories of the tablet)
> - fennec wasn't able to load my netvibes.com-page (microb has no problem
> with it)
>
> It sounds as if your version runs more stable. would it be an idea to
> uninstall an reinstal fennec (and minefield)?
>
> Ciao Uwe

Fennec is pre-alpha, so don't expect much. The engine is mostly there,
but they're rebuilding the UI from scratch and haven't included the
menus yet. And no, it's not at all usable on an N800 without a
hardware keyboard. The stylus keyboard is completely unavailable, and
the finger keyboard (press the center of the D-pad to make it pop up)
doesn't let you edit what's already in the address bar - all you can
do is add to it (the existing text doesn't appear in the onscreen
keyboard's text box).

Also, apparently the default for Fennec is to not allow any javascript
or java, and any sites that require them that you visit with Fennec
will no longer work in MicroB. The fact that you can't change any
settings without a hardware keyboard makes that a very serious issue.

I didn't notice any stability issues, but I didn't keep it very long.

Mark