Re: gpe contacts import

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 2:41 AM, Graham Cobb <g+770@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 April 2008 21:40:16 Tommy Persson wrote:
>  > I generated such a file on my Palm T5 and had problem importing it. I
>  > think it works if no entry contais 8-bit characters or similar. if i
>  > removed entries with åäöé and so on in them it worked.
>
>  If someone can send me an example vCard created by the Palm with 8-bit
>  characters I would appreciate it.  I would like to know if the problem is a
>  Palm bug or a GPE bug and, if it is a Palm bug, look into whether we can work
>  round it.
>
>  It would also be useful to see which fields Palm tends to use so I can see if
>  they are being mapped in the best way possible to GPE contacts fields.
>  Seeing several different entries would be useful for this.
>
>  Reliable import from Palm would be a very desirable feature.
>
>  Graham

When I went back into my vcf file, the mapping of the home fields to
business was Palm's fault. The reversal of the order of the city &
state happens on import to GPE, though.

For me, the ideal import method would be to add a dialog on import
that allows the user to specify which fields in the source file map to
which fields in the GPE app. That's the way the Palm Desktop works,
and it also adds the capability of creating a template file so that
the mapping can be done automatically for sources that are repeatedly
imported.

Mark

Mark