Re: Battery life VERY short on N810, last OS2008...

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Eero Tamminen <eero.tamminen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  One possibility is a WLAN AP with broken power management, but then
>  things shouldn't get that much worse with newer OS release.   Another
>  possibility is some process using network often.
>
>  Could you try using "Offline mode" option from the power key menu?
>  If it helps significantly, then the issue is related to network.

I'll try this evening/night and I'll get back tomorrow with the results...

>  Have you enabled RSS updates?  Do you leave e.g. Browser window
>  open when you don't use the device?

No (I hate programs polling automatically) :-). The only program
polling is the gmail notifier...

>  What applets you have enabled in Home?

Internet search, web link (no change on standard URI), Tableteer info,
clock and Internet Radio (never used, sitting idle).

>  If you do following from SSH after screen has blanked:
>         strace -p $(pidof hildon-desktop|cut -d' ' -f1)
>  Is there any activity?

I got (very fast) after the command:

gettimeofday(whatever) = 0
ioctl(3, FIONREAD, [0]) = 0
gettimeofday(whatever) = 0
poll(

and then nothing else...

To answer your question in a later email (so to try to save
bandwidth): the device is not in R&D mode...

It was before the upgrade, but I disabled the R&D mode after an email
from you a week ago, or something like that explaining the problems
with power management in this mode.
Thinking about this, I did two things: upgraded the OS AND disabling
R&D mode. But I think the latter can't be the problem, no?

btw: I disinstalled Canola (the program is very complex, it is a
candidate for problems/bugs).

I'll try (in this order):
leave the tablet "as is" (to test canola);
if nothing leave the tablet with net disabled;
if nothing I'll try to kill the metalayer-crawler (but I had no
problem before, on N810 or on the 770 I used before this one and this
tablet used to have power for 4 to 7 days)...
If nothing the only other thing I can do is to reinstall OS2008 and,
then, add an application every 2-3 days to isolate the battery
offender...

If there is something else I can try, feel free to suggest other
option (I'm open). :-) If there are no other suggestion I'll post a
success when I found the root cause...

Thank you all for your help and support,
gt