Re: Battery life VERY short on N810, last OS2008...

Kimmo Hämäläinen wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 14:09 +0100, ext Matt Emson wrote:
>
>> Even though it often doesn't look like it is the metalayer-crawler,
>> killing it always makes a big difference for me. Honestly, I had my

> You could check it with "strace -p <PID of metalayer-crawler>" (Debian
> armel package probably works). It should be sitting in  the poll()
> system call when it's idle.

Killing the crawler is good enough to get the desired results in my
case. I can't see that re-enabling it will be helpful for my own
personal tablet.

The power drain is bad news, and should be fixable. Idon't claim to know
exactly what causes the issue, but I still hold up the opinion that the
crawler is bad news on many* N8x0 systems. I've seen a load of users
have this issue on the IT forums and this list. Something somewhere is
going wrong. For me it was this, so I stick to my guns and say -
Metalater-crawler == poor battery life. Obviously, YMMV.

Whatever the issue.. it's real. It's a big issue for many users. It's
not an obvious error, cause I'm guessing it would be fixed by now if
that were the case. All I can report is what I have already stated in a
hope it can be useful.

* I can't quantify "many", so I will not claim "all".