Re: Is OS2006 still supported?

Mark wrote:
> If I have the exact hardware that I want, why should I have to worry
> about the device being unsupported in such a short period of time? My
> laptop is 8 years old, and it would still be meeting my needs if the
> backlight hadn't died last year, and the replacement part for it is
> unavailable. (The panel itself is fine, it's just a little backlight
> driver board that died.) Now it's effectively just another desktop,
> since I have to connect it to an external monitory in order to use it.
>
> What we have here is planned obsolescence. The only way to get people
> to buy new products they don't need is to *make* them need the new
> stuff by withdrawing support for the older devices.

Agreed -- it's an abuse of the copyright/patent system, IMHO.  A lot of
this problem would likely go away if unsupported/abandoned/'obsolete'
software, OSs & hardware required the open sourcing all pertinent code
and information necessary for the open market to support the device.

  The way it is, Microsoft's continuing habit of abandoning perfectly
good OS code support (and drivers) with each OS is probably makes
Microsoft amongst the greatest contributors to pollution in the world
with all sorts of perfectly decent computer hardware devices becoming
obsolete before their time and subsequently filling junk piles around
the world far before their time.

Always, Fred C