Re: BECOMEROOT

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 04:01:45AM +0200, sebastian maemo wrote:
> 2008/4/15, Frantisek Dufka <dufkaf@xxxxxxxxx>:
> I can install lots of applications in my cellphone (also a Nokia). But I can
> install only a few applications in the 770, unless I do a (non-trivial)

Can you?  I have an S60 phone and -although there are a number of applications for it- most of them are either 1) non-free (in code or cost), and 2) require a special signature, without which they are very difficult to install.

> Now, the package I need is gone to another folder. A folder I'm supposed not
> to check because I'm using mistral distribution...
>
> That's fucking nonsense.

I see this attitude as completely unproductive.  I am sorry your 770 does not do as much as you want it to, but, please, the raving is not helpful, nor does it make a good representation for the community.   I loved my 770 and used the "hacker edition" for quite some time.  As you have realized, however, it became much more difficult to keep up with the newer apps while tethered to the older operating system.  You have to realize two things about the 770:
  1) it was the first edition of the IT.  Anytime you willingly step into version 1.0, you become a beta tester and will be subject to all types of difficulties not necessarily expected.  This is as true for new electronics as it is for first run cars.
  2) the 770 is now an outdated model.  I loved mine and have only recently moved to an 800.  I love OS2008, with the flash support, video, and easy installation of apps like canola.  But it was a necessary move.  If I were consent to do a little rss, web, IM, and gizmo calls, I would stick with the 770, but like you, I want more, more, more out of my internet tablet.  I want to try all the differnt applications and that requires the newer operating system.

> There's a chaos in deb packages maintaining and distribution... It's
> obviously Nokia's fault... Or maybe it's my fault because I've bought a

Once you start trying to run *any* third party app, it does become something of a chaos.  Even on my 800, the catalogs (repos) have become somewhat chaotic, yet still manageable.

> I think that I'll be able to get my 770 booting again from MMC, but this
> kind of things should never happen. At least to a simple end user...

And here, as I see it, is the root of your problem.  When you start doing things like "booting from MMC", you have left the realm of simple end user and become a hacker.  Welcome to the club!  It is fun, rewarding, and.... frustrating.  But to claim to be a "simple end user", you would not even try to install applications like BecomeRoot or apps that might require root privileges.  An end user is someone like a friend of mine at work; I flashed her device to OS2008 and she remains within the apps browsable through Application Manager.

When you want to be restrained by your device, then the Apple iPhone is the right thing for you.  When you want the -sometimes difficult- ability to extend your device beyond the imaginings of even its developers, then something like the maemo-based IT, or an S60 phone is for you.  Pros and cons to both sides, but that is the simple presentation.

enjoy hacking on your 770, you are definitely in the club now!

In Vino Veritas
http://astroturfgarden.com