Re: BECOMEROOT

sebastian maemo wrote:
> That's fucking nonsense.
>
> There's a chaos in deb packages maintaining and distribution... It's
> obviously Nokia's fault... Or maybe it's my fault because I've bought
> a Nokia 770 without getting first a master degree in computer
> science... (is that what Marius means in his PD??).
>
> I think that I'll be able to get my 770 booting again from MMC, but
> this kind of things should never happen. At least to a simple end user...

Right on all counts except one: it's not Nokia's fault. It's Linux in
general. It is absolutely absurd that there are thousands of "flavors"
of Linux out there, and none of them are compatible with each other.
Anything you learn in one Linux distribution is nearly useless in
another, because they've rearranged the file system, or used a slightly
different name for something, or didn't see fit to include some critical
driver or other dependency in the kernal or installation. Even when they
are "based" on a common major distribution, the differences end up being
critical. And don't get me started on the different methods of package
management or the difficulty of compiling & installing anything that
didn't come with the distribution. The word you used was exactly
appropriate: "chaos".

The day that Linux distributions stop fighting each other and start
working together, Linux will immediately take over the world. Until
then, Linux will never be a serious threat to the closed OS's. No matter
how user-friendly they make the install process or the basic included
software, the extreme difficulty of adding functionality is just way too
far beyond even the moderately savvy computer user's ability.

I've even programmed on Unix/Linux systems (and made top marks in every
one of those courses), and I *still* can't get the simplest program
compiled and installed.

That said, at least Nokia went with one of the more common distributions
on which to base its system: debian. It could have been a whole lot
worse. And the differences from full debian systems were necessary
because of space, power and other constraints related to cramming what
is fundamentally a whole computer into a tiny handheld unit.

But I'm right there with you on the frustration level...

Mark