Re: Move from 2007 to 2008 Questions

On Tuesday 15 Apr 2008, Mark wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 3:58 AM, Tony Green <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  The main problem with apps that haven't been "released" for OS2008 is
> > the install file you get when you click on the icon on the Maemo site.
> > That checks the OS version and chokes if it's wrong. You'll find a lot of
> > apps can be installed by going straight to the .deb file instead.
>
> Unfortunately, the .deb files can be very difficult to track down. I
> realize that they're trying to protect novices from themselves, but it
> sure isn't very user-friendly. Can you explain how to extract a .deb
> file from the repository? I've tried every trick I can think of, and
> some apps simply don't give any access to the .deb file.

If you're lucky, it might be available from the Mamo Garage
(http://garage.maemo.org) - at least if developers are hosting the files
there like I am with my ports.

Failing that, you should be able to track the file down, albeit with a bit of
fiddling about, by looking in the install file. If you point a browser at the
value given in the line starting "uri" there's a chance you'll find a small
number of directories under that location. Hunt through those and you should
find the file. There's probably an easy way to predict where to go, but I
don't understand the structure enough to say what it is.

> Regarding the touch screen: I have the newest version of OS2008 on my
> N800, and there definitely are issues with the accuracy. I've tried
> calibrating many times, but it doesn't seem to help. I'm constantly
> frustrated with getting spaces instead of bottom-row keys when using
> the stylus with the on-screen keyboard. Clicking on links on Web pages
> can be challenging as well.

Another problem I've found with it is that there are a lot of repeated
characters. Annoyingly, it seems most keen on them in password fields where
they're instantly replaced by stars, so you can't see whether or not it's
happened.
--
Tony Green
Ipswich, Suffolk, England

** This message is digitally signed. If your email client is unable to read
digital signatures, you may see an attachment that you cannot open. See
http://www.gnupg.org/(en)/documentation/faqs.html for more information.
You can validate my PGP key from my website: http://www.beermad.org.uk/
* No Micro$oft products were used in the generation of this communication